Click Here for Substitute Packet
NEW SUBSTITUTE TEACHER & EDUCATIONAL AIDE APPLICANTS
In order to be placed on the Midwest Regional Educational Service Center’s substitute list for the current school year, you must have ALL required documents on file in the Midwest Regional ESC office. Each year after this initial application, you will be sent a “Reasonable Assurance Letter”, “Intent to Substitute form” and “Acknowledgement of Receipt of Important Documents and Policies” to complete and return if you would like to continue being on the substitute list for the next school year.
STEP 1: Complete & return the substitute Application, Acknowledgement of Receipt of Important Documents and Policies and Tax Payroll Packet to the Midwest Regional ESC office.
STEP 2: Your BCI and/or FBI fingerprinting background checks can be done through the Midwest Regional ESC office by appointment only. Cost for BCI – $35.00; FBI – $35.00; Both BCI & FBI – $70.00.
- If using another facility that offers background checks, make sure that your fingerprinting results are marked as a “direct copy” to Ohio Department of Education and your paper copy gets mailed to the Midwest Regional ESC office.
- If you hold an existing substitute license/permit or a standard teaching license, you should provide to our office copies of your BCI and FBI reports. The reports must be no older than one year (365 days) from the date of your substitute application.
STEP 3: Complete your ONLINE License/Permit Application at the Ohio Department of Education’s website.
- Follow the instructions in creating a Safe Account and Applying for a License/Permit online.
- “How to” videos and PDF documents are available on ODE’s website.
- Mark the Midwest Regional Educational Service Center or IRN#014777 as your designated e-signer. If you are an Educational Aide you must also mark the “Valid in” section with IRN #014777.
- Your License/Permit will be approved by the Midwest Regional ESC Superintendent upon completion of Step 1 (submitting your substitute application and tax payroll packet).
- Your substitute license/permit will be automatically emailed to the Midwest Regional ESC.
- You will be paying for your license/permit with a credit card through the ODE website.
- If you are a first time applicant as a substitute teacher, you will need to upload your college transcript showing your BA degree during the application process. Aides do not need to upload any documents.